Many folks don't want to leave the serenity of our secluded log cabins, on our 92-acre nature preserve. But if you want to explore, Spring House Farm is located in the middle of so many things to do at the attractions in the Blue Ridge Mountains around the Asheville, Chimney Rock and Lake Lure areas. Here are our Top Picks with plenty of input from our guests!
NEW! Just three miles away is a great Zip Line Canopy Tour and 32-foot climbing tower at Boulderline Adventures.
1. Biltmore Estate: See America's largest home, grand gardens, the winery and much more. For your convenience, we sell Biltmore Estate tickets at our office so you can bypass their ticket office. Biltmore is just 30 miles away. Read more about Biltmore.
2. Chimney Rock Park: A 26-story elevator or a network of trails takes you to breathtaking 75-mile views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The park also features a magnificent 404-foot waterfall and is only 18 miles from your cabin at Spring House Farm. Read more about Chimney Rock.
3. Lake Lure: Relax on the "beach" on Lake Lure, rent a kayak, or take a guided scenic cruise. The lake is just 12 miles from Spring House Farm. Read more about Lake Lure.
4. Asheville: Explore Asheville's vibrant center with more than 200 shops, 30 galleries, 50 restaurants and wonderful architecture, only 30 miles away. Read more about Asheville.
5. Blue Ridge Parkway: One of the most scenic roads in America, the Blue Ridge Parkway offers plenty of spots for roadside picnics, breathtaking vistas, easy to difficult hiking and a reprieve from commercialism. Read more about the Blue Ridge Parkway.
6. Land of Waterfalls: See hundreds of waterfalls including nearby Hickory Nut Falls at Chimney Rock, Linville Falls, or the many waterfalls in the Brevard area. See our Favorite Waterfalls.
7. Take a Hike: There are hundreds of great hiking trails in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. See our Favorite Mountain Hikes to help narrow down your choices!
8. Horseback Riding: Ride a horse through peaceful trails, or for the more adventureous you can swim with your horse!
9. Tucked away nearby in rolling hills at the base of Linville Gorge is Lake James, a 6,510-acre lake with more than 150 miles of shoreline. This impressive waterway is the centerpiece of Lake James State Park. Here, nature offers scenic vistas of the Appalachian Mountains and beckons to those with an appetite for recreation. Try swimming and sunbathing or enjoy a picnic along the lakeshore. Boat, water ski or fish in cool mountain waters, or take a walk and enjoy an abundance of wildflowers and wildlife along park trails. Lake James offers a variety of ways to enjoy the outdoors.
10. Exploring the small towns with quaint shops. Tour nearby Rutherfordton, Black Mountain, Chimney Rock/Lake Lure, and Hendersonville.
11. Gem & Gold Mining: Mine for gold or gems at the Thermal City Gold Mine, located on a one mile section of the Second Broad River and about 85 acres of Placer Gravel deposits.
12. Whitewater Rafting: Take a fun ride on the Nolichucky, Nantahala or French Broad Rivers with USA Raft or Mountain Adventure Guides.
13. Mt. Mitchell: Drive to the top of the highest peak in eastern America at Mount Mitchell and enjoy the views from their new observation deck (free admission).
14. Linville Caverns: Explore North Carolina's only cavern with a cool guided tour. The caverns remain active as mineral deposits continue to form the stalactites and stalagmites.
15. Furniture Shopping in Hickory: Find some bargains and enormous selection at hundreds of furniture outlets and galleries in nearby Hickory.
16. Art & Craft: Our area is one of the top art and craft destinations in the country. See area artists and a gallery of their work at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Or browse the many galleries in the surrounding towns such as Asheville, Black Mountain and Hendersonville.
17. Go fly fishing with a guide or take a float fishing trip.
18. Play golf on Lake Lure at the beautiful nearby Apple Valley Golf Course.
19. Wine Tasting: Visit nearby South Creek Winery. Ask about our VIP Winery Tour!
20. Our quiet country roads provide an ideal spot for road bicycling. Arthur loves to bike and he can share his 18 mile loop ride from the farm over rolling hills and by pastures and mountain views. Read about the nearby Point Lookout Bike Trail in our Hiking Guide.
Need more ideas? See these local travel guides:
Hickory Nut Gorge (Chimney Rock, Lake Lure)